What is a Planning Permit?

Development permit under section 102 of the Lagos State Urban and Regional Planning and Development Law 2010 means approval or assent giving for the time being to development which includes Layouts, or Subdivision Plan, Building control authorization given at construction and post-construction stage.

What are the classes of Planning Permit?

There are two classes of Planning Permit:

  1. Provisional planning permit and
  2. Final planning permit.

What is a Provisional Planning Permit?

Provisional Planning Permit is the temporary permit granted to applicants before the final permit. It is granted to applicants before their title documents are registered with the Government. This could be granted with the provision of duly stamped Land purchase receipt, Deed of Gift, un-registered Deed of Assignment, e.t.c.

Who could be granted Provisional Planning Permit?

  1. Applicants who would wish to commence construction while registering their Land Title Documents with the State’s Land Bureau;
  2. Applicants who would wish to commence construction during the regularization process of their Federal Government issued Titles (Certificate of Occupancy and others) with the State Government.

What could be granted a Planning Permit?

  1. New development
  2. Redevelopment/Remodeling
  3. Renovation
  4. Fencing
  5. Revalidation (after expiration of 2 years of Obtaining Permits without commencement of construction).
  6. Demolition of Structures
  7. Additional floors
  8. As-Built Development that meets certain criteria.

What are the basic design requirements?

The design must be drawn to scale and must show the following details:

  1. Layout or site location plans showing system of streets leading to and around the subject site at scale 1:500 or 1:1000,
  2. A block plan showing the site & proposed building At the back of each block plan must be affixed a photocopy of the Survey plan.
  3. Floor plans showing sizes and dimensions of rooms,
  4. The position of windows, and doors. Elevation showing necessary details (front, rear, and sides)
  5. Cross and longitudinal sections along appropriate lines with dimensions.

Do I have to pay for Planning Permit and how much?

Yes, you are required by Law to pay administrative charges for all applications for the grant of planning permits. These charges must be paid at the time the application is being made otherwise the application will not be considered. The fees are not arbitrary but based on standard rates and vary with the size (volume), type (land-use), and location of the proposed development. This is now simplified via e-payment.

What is the statutory Fee payment procedure?

  1. Visit the nearest District Office where your drawing is assessed.
  2. Obtain payment advice.
  3. Payment of draft to the appropriate account code in LASG designated banks.
  4. Ensure payments are made by yourself.
  5. Obtain treasury receipt of payment from the designated bank.
  6. Confirmation of payment /necessary clearance by the accounting department,

When is the penalty fee demanded?

An applicant is to pay a penal fee for commencing development on-site prior to obtaining a Planning Permit.

What is the validity period for a Planning Permit?

Planning permit shall become invalid where development has not commenced within two (2) years of the grant of such permit. It shall be subjected to revalidation upon payment of prescribed fees provided it is still consistent with the Operative Development Plan as provided for in the Lagos State Urban and Regional Planning and Development Law (2010)

What are the space standards for Planning Permit?

  1. Setback for Residential.-
  2. Standard -6m
  3. Substandard – Existing building line
  4. Special schemes-9m(Lekkil&II, Apapa, Ikeja G.R.A’s) &, etc.
  5. Others-As specified by Approval Orders or Regulations for such Scheme Area or core areas such as Lagos Island, Ipodo, Ebute Metta where existing building lines are followed.
  1. Airspaces for Residential. Standard-3m both sides.
  2. Substandard – 1.5m on one side and 3m on the other side.
  3. Others – 3m between main building & B/Q, 4.5m in between main building of two (2) floors and any building above four (4) floors will be 6m
  1. Rear Airspace. Standard – 3m
  2. Substandard-3m
  3. Others-4.5m if the height is up to 4 floors.
  1. The airspace between two buildings
  2. Bungalows – 3m.
  3. Bungalow to 2 floors-4.5m and
  4. 2 floors-6m
  1. Car parking space:
  2. Residential use: 2 car parking spaces per one (1) family unit e.g four (4) family units require eight (8) car parking spaces
  3. Commercial use: 1 car park for every 60sqm of the lettable floor space,(one dedicated car park per 20 car parks for people living with disability inclusive)
  4. Place of worship/Event centre: 1 parking space for every 10sqm of floor space (one dedicated car park per 20 car parks for people living with disability inclusive)
  5. Industrial use: 1 car parking for every 90sqm of lettable floor space (one dedicated car park per 20 car parks for people living with disability inclusive)
  6. People living with a disability: Generally, it is one (1) car park for every 20 car parking spaces in public buildings.
  1. Place of worship:- minimum acceptable)
  2. Plot size – Developed Areas (Substandard plots) = 600sqm
  3. Developing Areas (Standard plots) = 1,500sqm
  4. Setback-Standard plots = 9m
  5. Substandard = 6m or existing building line for core areas.
  6. Airspaces Sides.- Standard plots – 4.5m, Substandard plots- 3.0m,
  7. Rear. Standard plots 6.9m, Substandard plots -3m
  8. The distance of one place of worship to another
  9. Same sec – 400m apart
  10. Different sect -250m apart

What are the required provisions for people living with disabilities in public buildings?

  1. Provision of Ramp
  2. 2 Toilets (i.e. one for Male and one for Female on the ground or basement floor)
  3. 1 car park in every 20 car parking spaces.

What is Renovation?

Means any act done to cause an improvement to buildings aesthetic and shall include changing of windows and doors, re-plastering and re-roofing, etc. It does not include the carrying out of substantial structural improvement or changes to the building.

Which documents are required for the issuance of a renovation permit?

  1. Application Letter for renovation permit.
  2. Planning Permit of the building (Photocopy).
  3. Evidence of ownership

Who will grant the renovation permit?

The District Office where the subject site of the proposed building for renovation is situated. Subject to General Manager’s clearance.

What is Redevelopment?

This means a Planning process where an existing structure is substantially restructured both internally and externally.

What is an “Abandoned Building”?

An Abandoned building is a previously occupied but vacated building that is left in that condition for a period of up to five years, or a building which is under construction but on which work has ceased for up to five years.

What is a Demolition Permit?

This is an official authorization to pull down and remove an existing structure.

Why do we need a Demolition Permit?

  1. To ensure that the Legal owner is the one proposing the Demolition
  2. To forestall demolition of buildings of historical importance.
  3. To ensure that buildings are safely demolished without hindrance to adjacent structures.

What are the requirements for Demolition Permit?

  1. Detailed site location sketch
  2. Subject site photographs with the current date and time.
  3. Sworn affidavit with the Applicant’s or Agent photograph pasted.
  4. Sworn Affidavit indemnifying LASG, LASPPPA & LASBCA against any litigation
  5. Certified True Copy of Title Document
  6. Valid means of identification of the applicant or agent applying for Demolition Permit.

What is an Approval order?

This is an operational guideline stipulating the standard and permissible uses for the implementation of an Operative Development Plan.

What is Planning information?

This is information to the public about the status of a particular land area with respect to land use, density, height, and zoning, in addition to other statutory requirements as provided in the Regulations.

Why do we need Planning information?

Planning Information is necessary for developers to ascertain the use of their land in compliance with the State Operative Development Plans, Building Regulation, and Standards. This is to forestall illegal and wasteful developments in the state.

What is a setback?

It is the distance to be observed between the building line and property boundary, water bodies, right of way of infrastructural facilities and utilities.

a. Highways and Road setback

  1. Federal Highway – 90m right of way: 45 meters from the center to the property line.
  2. State Highway – 60m right of way; 30m from the center to the property line.
  3. Local Road (State) – 24m, 18m, 15m, 12m, 9m, 7.5m, 6m right of ways respectively from the center to the property line as applicable or from the property Boundary to the building lines as they may be.

b. The distance between the building line of property and the outer edge of the PHCN oil pipeline? -15m

What is the Horizontal distance from PHCN high Tension lines?

  1. 0.415 volt low tension lines = 6m
  2. 11 KVA = 6m
  3. 33KVA = 10m
  4. 132KVA = 20m
  5. 330KVA = 30m
  6. Substation = 12m from the sub-station boundary Source: Federal Ministry of Power, Works, and Housing

What is the setback to water bodies?

  1. Ocean and sea = 150m
  2. Lagoon. =50m
  3. Rivers and creek. =15m
  4. Gorge, canals, and drainage =10m

Setback to Railway lines -Minimum of 21m setback between the property line and the railway line.

What is an Approved Layout?

This is a land sub-division plan for public or private developments. It must be prepared for land above 1 hectare (10,000sqm). By a Professional Town Planner registered and authorized to practice in Nigeria.

Can my application be rejected?

Yes, if the application is not in accordance with the Operative Development Plan and is likely to have a negative impact that cannot be adequately mitigated on the environment/ facilities, inhabitants of the community, or in the public interest.

What is the distance between two (2) Petrol Filling Stations?

  1. 400m on the same side of the road,
  2. 250m on opposite sides without a road median on local roads,
  3. 2 kilometers on highways, and
  4. 1.5 kilometers on collector/ secondary roads.

Do Applicants or Developers have a right to appeal?

Yes! Appeals are made if a dissatisfied developer feels that the Approving Authority’s decision has been unreasonable or not within the expected time or conditions. Each application is dealt with on its own merit.

Can the public write a petition?

Yes! Petitions could be written against any Physical Development, addressed to the Chairman, Physical Planning Appeal Committee, Honourable Commissioner (MPP&UD), Permanent Secretary (MPP&UD) or the General Manager LASPPPA and the General Manager LASBCA on any allegation which must be investigated and decided upon for redress.

Can I retrieve information on any lost Planning Permit?

Yes. Upon application for information on any lost Planning Permit granted, the applicant could retrieve all information from LASPPPA particularly those granted during the period of 1945 and late 80s. Application for retrieval of loss of planning permit or confirmation addressed to General Manager LASPPPA accompanied by sworn affidavit in lieu of ownership document.

Can I obtain a Certified True Copy of my Planning Permit?

Yes. Application for Certified True Copy is being handled by LASPIC (a unit in the Ministry of Physical Planning & Urban Development). An application letter is to be addressed to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Physical Planning & Urban Development, Block 15, Alausa Secretariat Lagos, indicating the name, year of Approval, and Approval Number(if available)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here